Tuesday, January 02, 2007

At last: PS2 in the house

Finally! My 6 year old wanted a Play Station for Christmas - and of course he got it. Being an old (and misery) dude I never wanted to buy one because I know myself good enough to know that I couldn't argue the case of spending the money and then using it so little as would be the case (I'm way past the time (untill he gets a real intersting game) where I spent whole nights shooting monsters in dungeons).

I was through serious considerations of going for the X-Box (because I could use the Media Center Extension on it, and he would therefore be able access the favorite recorded kids-shows from the living room), but ended up with the PS/2 because he needs to get into the gaming world first.

We've had some serious football games (FIFA 07) and it's really amazing to watch his approach to learning the system. There's absolutely no reading (or asking for that matter) of manuals. It's pure trial and error. And it seems to work: he already beats me half the time. I'm not quite sure how much is inteded and how much is pure luck that he hits the right buttons at the right time (he hits the buttons a lot!!!). Anyway: Quite impressive user interfaces that are easy to learn; the kid of 6 (who can't really read yet) navigates effortlessly through them. And even more funny: much easier to watch DVD's on than our regular (low price) DVD player residing in the little girls room.

No comments: