I now finally(!!) finished "The Cult of the Amateur" mentioned in the previous entry (it was quite a hard read and I finished up 5 other books before this one was done). Anyway: I am pleased to announce that while I was rather annoyed by Andrew Keens writing (because his doomsday approach turned me off, and I thought most of his examples (especially the economic ones) were ridiculous), the book turned out to be OK in the end.
After all the hubbub about web 2.0 and no one respecting copy-rights anymore the book turned more sombre and looked at the internet in general and some of the effects of what can happen to our kids. As a parent to a 7 year old who is now enjoying web 2.0 through Club Penguin and a 5 year old who is sleeping in a card board box on the floor in her room next to her perfectly good bed, and who before she goes to bed (card board box), almost always seems to manage to get my PC infected with malicious spyware and stuff, I pay attention when someone warns me how my kids can get in trouble.
After all the gloom Mr. Keen actually lets us know that it may not be so bad after all. There is still hope he claims (and I agree), because even though there will always be criminals and pundits, there are also sensible people (and most of us belong to that category) which will legislate, agree, and veto what is good for our common good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment