Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Media Center Follow up

All righty - I guess it's about time that I do a small update on my home entertainment system. I ended up outsourcing the task of defining hardware and software to an intern at my job. All I did was specify my requirements (should fit in bookcase and look cool - be able to record tv, play DVD's and CD's).

I now have it up and running (we assembled the pc together and it wasn't that hard). Connecting the various parts were no problem as the different wires can only go one place - only the sound system uses the same kind of small jack plug for all the connections but they've done a good job color-coding the so you can't mix them up.

Microsofts Windows Media Center is a dream usability-wise. It can be operated using a special remote control and you navigate through menus which are intuitive and easy to use. Setting it up was also a breeze (it's been quite some time since I had to install a pc from scratch). The only issues were some hassles with drivers for the motherboard but that was solved fairly easily, as was seting up the wireless network.

All in all not to scary an experience.

All we need now is that my wife actually will venture into the brave new world of media on a computer - can't be long: today I even got the radio to work ... ;-)

No comments: